Cork County News

24/02/2018 Nemo Rangers qualify for the All... Via the examiner By Paul KeaneNemo Rangers (Cork) 2-19, Slaughtneil (Derry) 1-14Luke Connolly #39;s... read on
24/02/2018 Competition winners - Allianz Leagues... Well done to the Alan O Shea amp; Sean Holland winners of our website competition, who have each won... read on
24/02/2018 Ticket Information - (Allianz Leagues... Ticket InformationThe double header this Sunday in Pairc ui Chaoimh is an #39;All Ticket #39; nbsp;... read on

Intermediate Reports

County Premier Intermediate Football Championship

Macroom   4 – 8     Newmarket   2 – 11

Macroom were deserving winners of this fourth round tie but they were given a tough test by the Duhallow men and they were relieved to hear the final whistle.  Weather conditions at Rathcoole were dreadful with a high wind and lashing rain throughout the contest.  Macroom finished the game with only 12 players on the field, referee John O’Leary also dispatched two of the Newmarket side, but it was mainly the conditions which had led to the dismissals and the two sides tried at all times to play constructive football in a sporting contest.

The rains, driven by a south west gale, started just before throw in and got heavier as the game progressed. Macroom had the benefit of the elements in the opening half and had four points on the board after 11 minutes, Fintan Goold with two from frees and one from play and Tony Dineen with the other, but they got a shock two minutes later when sloppy defending allowed Newmarket in for an opportunist goal.  After David Horgan then pointed for Macroom, Newmarket kicked over two points to have the scores level after 21 minutes, 0-5 to 1-2.  Macroom hit back with a badly needed goal a minute later, Fintan Goold creating the opening for his brother David to fire the ball to the empty net. Immediately Newmarket were back on level terms with an avoidable goal and another point left the Duhallow men leading by 2-3 to 1-5 and Macroom had reason to be worried.  Macroom’s position improved in the five minutes before the break however. David Goold had a point and then Seán Kiely and Conor O’Sullivan set up a chance for Fintan Goold, which the Macroom man finished to the net with a very well placed left footed drive.  A Newmarket point was matched by Conor O’Sullivan who finished the first half scoring to give Macroom a 2-7 to 2-4 interval lead, barely adequate but something to hold on to nonetheless.   

The game was won an  lost in the third quarter.  Ciarán Murphy had the ball in the Newmarket net within two minutes of the restart, finishing a five-man move initiated by a high fetch from Philip Corrigan at midfield.  Newmarket replied with two points but then lost a man to a second yellow card and when Macroom again combined to put Ciarán Murphy through for his second goal in the 39th minute the winners held a seven-point lead.  Newmarket’s lost a second man to a second yellow card and their position now looked hopeless, two men down and seven points adrift.

Two frees kept Newmarket in touch and when a Macroom attacker earned a red for a second yellow in the 47th minute to ease the numerical imbalance somewhat for Newmarket, the Duhallow men got renewed vigour.  A pointed free cut the gap to four points in the 53rd minute and then another Macroom man was dismissed, second yellow again, to re-establish numerical equality.  Macroom badly needed a score and it came when Seán Kiely fisted over in the 58th minute but was followed by the red-carding of a Macroom substitute.  Newmarket kicked over two points in the closing minutes but had left themselves with too much to do and so Macroom advanced to meet either Grenagh or Éire Óg.

Scorers: Macroom: C Murphy 2-0, F Goold 1-3 (0-2f), D Goold 1-1, T Dineen, D Horgan, C O’Sullivan, S Kiely 0-1 each. 

Macroom: James O’Connell: Michael Cahill, Eoin O’Mahony, Martin O’Donnell: Kevin O’Dwyer, Rory Buckley, Seán Kiely: Fintan Goold, Philip Corrigan; Don Creedon, Ciarán Murphy, Tony Dineen: Conor O’Sullivan, David Horgan, David Goold.  Subs: Gerard Angland (h.t.), John Murphy (55), David Cotter (55).

Report: Brendan Keneally 

2015 Premier Intermediate Football Championship 

Macroom   1 – 10     Nemo Rangers   1 – 9 aet.

Macroom restored wounded pride and earned a place in the fourth round of the championship with a spirited display at rain sodden Carraigadrohid against a fancied Nemo Rangers side.  Macroom came from two points in arrears with two minutes remaining to get a point apiece from David Goold and Olan Murphy to force the game into extra time.  In the extra period David Goold pointed a sideline kick to put Macroom in front, and Tony Dineen made it 0-2 to nil just after half time.  Eoin O’Mahony came up in attack to kick a third point and Tony Dineen made it 0-4 to nil with a glorious effort.  Every point was needed as Nemo finished with a goal but Macroom held out and deserved their win.

This was victory for hard graft and determination on a night when nothing less than all out effort would have been sufficient.  Short three players from the earlier round, Macroom needed men to step up to the plate and they were forthcoming. Philip Corrigan and Gerard Angland won an amount of ‘dirty ball’ around the midfield area, Michael Cahill and Rory Buckley were unyielding in defence, David Cotter, John Murphy, were tireless workers but overall it was an outstanding team performance.

Nemo were up 0-3 to nil before David Goold pointed a free for Macroom in the 17th minute. Nemo had another point before David Goold got a vital goal in the 25th minute, reacting well when Philip Corrigan’s shot came down off the upright. Ciarán Murphy and Philip Corrigan added points and Macroom led by 1-3 to 0-4 at half time.  On the restart, Nemo with the wind, quickly drew level but Macroom settled and David Goold pointed a free to put his side back in front in the 47th minute. Nemo drew level and then went in front and when they pointed again in the 56th minute to go two points clear Macroom were in trouble. David Goold pointed a pressure kick to level in the 59th minute and two minutes later Olan Murphy, one of three Murphy brothers on the team, sent over the saving point to force extra time.

Scorers: Macroom: D Goold 1-4 (0-4f), T Dineen 0-2, C Murphy, P Corrigan, O Murphy, E O’Mahony 0-1 each.   

Macroom: James O’Connell: Michael Cahill, Eoin O’Mahony, Rory Buckley: Alan Quinn, Sean Kiely, David Cotter: Philip Corrigan, James Quinlan: Tony Dineen, Ciarán Murphy, Gerard Angland: Olan Murphy, David Goold, John Murphy. Subs: Don Creedon (44), Emmett Quinlan (56). Extra time: Tony Dineen (6), Andrew Hegarty and Michael Browne (both ht.), G Angland (18 )

Report: Brendan Kenneally

County Premier Intermediate Championship 1st Round: 

Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh  0-15     Macroom   1-10

When Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh and Macroom met in the opening round of the Premier Intermediate football championship last year Béal Átha were met by an understrenght but fired up Macroom side and paid the price. Last Saturday evening at Kilnamartra, the teams met again, this time Macroom were at near full strength and neither side had any illusions about a soft passage to the next round.  Béal Átha were to be undisputed worthy winners, having shown the far greater desire for victory from the throw in.    

The Ballingeary men did major damage to Macroom in the opening quarter.  Macroom had lined out with the injured Fintan Goold at full forward and his absence from midfield was sorely felt.  Béal Átha completed dominated this vital area and with a supply of quality ball their attack led the Macroom defence a merry dance. Béal Átha went 0-3 up and in the 8th minute and only a super block by Michael Cahill denied them of a goal.  The winners continued to tear Macroom to shreds, added a point and Macroom were reeling.  Ger Angland had the first Macroom point in the 16th minute but Béal Átha continued on with three more points to go six clear by the 25th minute. Fintan Goold, now at midfield, pointed a Macroom free, Béal Átha came back with two points and Macroom finished with two points from frees, one each from David and Fintan Goold.  It was 0-9 to 0-4 at the break and the Béal Átha supporters were in buoyant form.  

On the restart, Macroom had points from David Goold, John Murphy and the Béal Átha goalkeeper saved a point blank shot from David Goold.  Philip Corrigan took a fine point for Macroom and Andy Concannon replied in the 43rd minute but Conor O’Sullivan’s point on the three quarter mark left the score at 0-10 to 0-8.  Béal Átha now rattled off four points on the trot, to lead by six points with ten minutes remaining.  Macroom desperately needed a goal and it was provided by Conor O’Sullivan and it was a fine effort from a very tight angle and when Fintan Goold followed up with a point from a free only two points separated the sides with five minutes remaining.  A point for Béal Átha gave them relief but Macroom had the last word with a point from Ciarán Murphy. 

Deep in injury time there was a very nasty flare up in the Béal Átha goalmouth which resulted in two players being red carded, a just-introduced Béal Átha sub. and Fintan Goold, a decision which infuriated the Macroom players, officials and supporters. 

Scorers: Macroom: C O’Sullivan 1-1, F Goold 0-3(f), D Goold 0-2 (0-1f), G Angland, J Murphy, P Corrigan and C Murphy 0-1 each.

Macroom: James O’Connell: Michael Cahill, Eoin O’Mahony, David Cotter: Kevin O’Dwyer, Rory Buckley, Ciarán Murphy: Philip Corrigan, Fintan Goold: Tony Dineen, Seán Kiely, Gerard Angland: Conor O’Sullivan, David Goold, John Murphy. Sub: Alan Quinn for T Dineen (52).

Report: Brendan Kenneally 

Macroom V Eire Og
On Tuesday morning Macroom took on local rivals Eire Og (the intermediate champions in 2014) in the Division 2 football league. Macroom took this game from the off and were ahead at half time on scoreline of Macroom 1-6 to 0-2. On the resumption Macroom took the game to their opponents and added two more points before David Goold bilowed the back of the Eire Og net. From hear to the end Macroom were well in control and ran out deserving winners on a scoreline of Macroom 2-15 Eire Og 0-9. They are the 3rd in the table only two points behind the league leaders. The line out was a follows:
James O'Connell, Olan O'Mahony, Eoin O'Mahony, David Cotter ,0-1 Kevin O'Dwyer, Rory Buckley, Alan Quinn, Philip Corrigan, Fintan Goold 0-3, Ger Angland, Sean Kiely 0-2, Tony Dineen, Conor O'Sullivan,(1-4) David Goold 1-3), John Murphy 0-2
Subs Used. Barry Healy, Alan O'Shea, Jamie Murphy, Micheal Browne.

Report John Ryan

Club Lotto



No Winner - €70. Richard Ring, Kilmichael, Co. Cork. Next Week's Jackpot €7200, Next Week's Draw - Castle Hotel Bar.

Club Merchandise

Upcoming Events